Books Free Russia Under the Old Regime Download

Particularize Containing Books Russia Under the Old Regime

Title:Russia Under the Old Regime
Author:Richard Pipes
Book Format:Paperback
Book Edition:Second Edition
Pages:Pages: 384 pages
Published:August 31st 1995 by Penguin (first published January 1st 1974)
Categories:History. Cultural. Russia. Nonfiction. Russian History. European History
Books Free Russia Under the Old Regime  Download
Russia Under the Old Regime Paperback | Pages: 384 pages
Rating: 3.99 | 362 Users | 37 Reviews

Chronicle Concering Books Russia Under the Old Regime

This study analyzes the evolution of the Russian state from the 9th century to the 1880s, and its unique role in managing Russian society. The development of Russia was different from that of the rest of Europe. The natural poverty of geographical conditions made it extremely difficult to construct an effective regime, and a "patrimonial" state arose in which the country was conceived as the personal property of the tsar. The book describes the evolution of this regime, and analyzes the political behaviour of the principal social groupings, peasantry, nobility, bourgeoisie and clergy, and accounts for their failure to stand up to the increasing absolutism of the tsar. Only the intelligentsia were able to make such a stand, and the book shows how in countering this challenge, Russia developed into a bureaucratic police state.

Present Books In Pursuance Of Russia Under the Old Regime

Original Title: Russia under the Old Regime
ISBN: 0140247688 (ISBN13: 9780140247688)
Edition Language: English
Literary Awards: National Book Award Finalist for History and Biography (1976)

Rating Containing Books Russia Under the Old Regime
Ratings: 3.99 From 362 Users | 37 Reviews

Rate Containing Books Russia Under the Old Regime
A good very readable account of Russia before the Revolution in 1917. The sort of history book I like that's less about facts and more immersive, much like Barbara Tuchman's A Distant Mirror or Richard J. Evans' Third Reich series. The book looks at Russia from an anti-Whiggish view that all the failings of the past Russian states and the psychology of the Russian people led to the failings of the communist state. Knowing something of the authors' neoconservative leanings and involvement in

Hidden gem. Eye opener. Extremely wide description of Russian society from monks at Ivan IV time to Secret Police of Alexandre III. It is not a history book with all wars, tsars and dates, but a portret of society then these developments happened. A lot of fun facts and russian words which makes book easy to read for Russian speaker. The author gives a lot of credits to famous Russian historians.

Brilliant and complex look at Russian politics and culture before the Revolution. I am amazed at how much Pipes accomplishes in this relatively short book. It is not an easy book--by no means a popular history. But he had me hooked from the start of the book with his analysis of the role geography played in forming Russian society. Pipe believes that the Communist system was more a continuity than a break with Imperial Russia. And he doesn't have to argue the point because it becomes startlingly

Book is Very informative and educational and I was very Surprised how little I knew about Russian history. On one hand I learned a wealth of Knowledge and on the other hand the chapters and format was not to my liking, Instead of a chronological history of events and the Czars and their rules, the author wrote in categories for example one chapter dealt with the peasants and how different rulers and laws effected them, then one chapter about the intelligentsia which covered some of the same time

Going over this book now, I find that I like it better than I remembered. Possibly my distaste for it at the time can be explained by the mass of other books I was having to consume at the same time, being new to a PhD program, or possibly it was a response to the author's politics, rather than to his writing. Richard Pipes is one of those Russian historians who was himself an exile from an Eastern Bloc nation (Poland) and who devoted his career to critiquing Communism. That's reasonable enough,

A great book if you are open to consider Richard Pipes view that the roots of communism in Russia already existed for a very long time from Peter the great periods. He also briefly discusses the geographical and climatic implications that Russia had to bear which obviously hindered its growth compared to the rest of Europe.

I found this book very interesting. It is unusual in that it focuses on different social groups and the ways in which their cultures evolved over time. I needed the chronology in the back of the book to help me keep dates straight. I would have been grateful for a glossary of the Russian words used in the text; I don't speak Russian and 100 pages after a word is defined, when it is used again, I need help. Clearly Richard Pipes has a lot of knowledge about the history of Russia, has thought

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free Books Sacred Sins (D.C. Detectives #1) Online