Books Fruitless Fall: The Collapse of the Honey Bee and the Coming Agricultural Crisis Free Download

Books Fruitless Fall: The Collapse of the Honey Bee and the Coming Agricultural Crisis  Free Download
Fruitless Fall: The Collapse of the Honey Bee and the Coming Agricultural Crisis Hardcover | Pages: 288 pages
Rating: 4.33 | 658 Users | 131 Reviews

Details Appertaining To Books Fruitless Fall: The Collapse of the Honey Bee and the Coming Agricultural Crisis

Title:Fruitless Fall: The Collapse of the Honey Bee and the Coming Agricultural Crisis
Author:Rowan Jacobsen
Book Format:Hardcover
Book Edition:Deluxe Edition
Pages:Pages: 288 pages
Published:September 16th 2008 by Bloomsbury USA
Categories:Nonfiction. Science. Environment. Nature. Food and Drink. Food

Description Conducive To Books Fruitless Fall: The Collapse of the Honey Bee and the Coming Agricultural Crisis

How the disappearance of the world's honeybee population puts the food we eat at risk.

Many people will remember that Rachel Carson predicted a silent spring, but she also warned of a fruitless fall, a time when "there was no pollination and there would be no fruit." The fruitless fall nearly became a reality last year when beekeepers watched one third of the honeybee population—thirty billion bees—mysteriously die. The deaths have continued in 2008. Rowan Jacobsen uses the mystery of Colony Collapse Disorder to tell the bigger story of bees and their' essential connection to our daily lives. With their disappearance, we won't just be losing honey. Industrial agriculture depends on the honeybee to pollinate most fruits, nuts, and vegetables—one third of American crops. Yet this system is falling apart. The number of these professional pollinators has become so inadequate that they are now trucked across the country and flown around the world, pushing them ever closer to collapse. By exploring the causes of CCD and the even more chilling decline of wild pollinators, Fruitless Fall does more than just highlight this growing agricultural crisis. It emphasizes the miracle of flowering plants and their pollination partners, and urges readers not to take for granted the Edenic garden Homo sapiens has played in since birth. Our world could have been utterly different—and may be still.

Particularize Books In Favor Of Fruitless Fall: The Collapse of the Honey Bee and the Coming Agricultural Crisis

Original Title: Fruitless Fall: The Collapse of the Honeybee and the Coming Agricultural Crisis
ISBN: 1596915374 (ISBN13: 9781596915374)
Edition Language: English

Rating Appertaining To Books Fruitless Fall: The Collapse of the Honey Bee and the Coming Agricultural Crisis
Ratings: 4.33 From 658 Users | 131 Reviews

Criticize Appertaining To Books Fruitless Fall: The Collapse of the Honey Bee and the Coming Agricultural Crisis
Picked it up very cheaply expecting it to be a bit rubbish. One of the best introductory books I have read to some of the global issues of beekeeping with a good introduction to the life of the hive also. A real unexpected gem- a bit USA centric but sure useful on any beekeepers shelf

This book changed my way of seeing bees, bumble bees, honey, almonds, figs, flowers and agriculture ! This is really an excellent work, lots of information and stuff to learn, without being boring at all.

I picked this book up because "Hey, this reminds me of silent spring" (which I still have yet to read but have talked over in class a few times) and to potentially gain some insight on our hobby bees, which we have lost over winter most years. I thought as a environmentally concerned person I would find much of this repetitive but found myself learning much more than the gaps I thought I had. I would recommend this book to anyone. Those who are aware, those who think it's just a bug, and any of

This was an enlightening book, not just about honeybees, but about the brokenness and precariousness of our entire food system. The planting of monocultures is detrimental to pollinators, nature, and ourselves. Bees are uprooted and brought by the millions of hives to pollinate these monocultures (almonds, for example) leading to stress, overwork, infection, mites, escalating chemical treatment, and ultimately hive collapse. As a beekeeper, I intuitively knew that the chemical treatment regimen

I've always been fascinated by bees, but Fruitless Fall has made me an even bigger fan of these little fellas than ever before and also made me realize just how dependent our society has become upon their health and ability to thrive. Before reading this book I had no idea that the apple, blueberry, strawberry, {fill in the blank favorite fruit or any other pollinated crop for that matter} is just one small catastrophe away from following the path of the dinosaur. Sure, I knew we were in peril

A must-read for everyone.

I'm sure I was a beekeeper in another life. I would love to be one now. The author explains in interesting detail all about bees' lives--what great little "union" workers they are. Bees are amazing insects and we won't have much of a life without them. This book is a real wake up call to what we are doing to our environment. Did you know that California grows 82% of the world's almonds and that every single almond needs a bee to pollinate it and that almonds are the most financially successful

Comments

Popular posts from this blog