Books Online The Body Project: An Intimate History of American Girls Free Download

Be Specific About Books In Favor Of The Body Project: An Intimate History of American Girls

Original Title: The Body Project: An Intimate History of American Girls
ISBN: 0679735291 (ISBN13: 9780679735298)
Edition Language: English
Books Online The Body Project: An Intimate History of American Girls  Free Download
The Body Project: An Intimate History of American Girls Paperback | Pages: 214 pages
Rating: 3.83 | 3469 Users | 207 Reviews

Relation In Pursuance Of Books The Body Project: An Intimate History of American Girls

"Timely and sympathetic . . . a work of impassioned advocacy."         --People

A hundred years ago, women were lacing themselves into corsets and teaching their daughters to do the same. The ideal of the day, however, was inner beauty: a focus on good deeds and a pure heart. Today American women have more social choices and personal freedom than ever before. But fifty-three percent of our girls are dissatisfied with their bodies by the age of thirteen, and many begin a pattern of weight obsession and dieting as early as eight or nine. Why?

In The Body Project, historian Joan Jacobs Brumberg answers this question, drawing on diary excerpts and media images from 1830 to the present. Tracing girls' attitudes toward topics ranging from breast size and menstruation to hair, clothing, and cosmetics, she exposes the shift from the Victorian concern with inner beauty to our modern focus on outward appearance--in particular, the desire to be model-thin and sexy. Compassionate, insightful, and gracefully written, The Body Project explores the gains and losses adolescent girls have inherited since they shed the corset and the ideal of virginity for a new world of sexual freedom and consumerism--a world in which the body is their primary project.

"Joan Brumberg's book offers us an insightful and entertaining history behind the destructive mantra of the '90s--'I hate my body!'" --Katie Couric

Declare Containing Books The Body Project: An Intimate History of American Girls

Title:The Body Project: An Intimate History of American Girls
Author:Joan Jacobs Brumberg
Book Format:Paperback
Book Edition:First Edition
Pages:Pages: 214 pages
Published:September 1st 1998 by Vintage (first published August 19th 1997)
Categories:Nonfiction. Feminism. History. Sociology. Womens Studies. Gender. Gender Studies. Psychology

Rating Containing Books The Body Project: An Intimate History of American Girls
Ratings: 3.83 From 3469 Users | 207 Reviews

Criticism Containing Books The Body Project: An Intimate History of American Girls
This is a okay book for body politics in feminism. While I don't agree with everything there are a lot of good and valid points. It does focus heavily on cis-gendered and white women, so lacking in diversity and intersectionality weakened the narrative.There were a lot of interesting points made, but there were quite a few "meh" and "why" moments, so 3 stars seems to be the happy medium.I'm not sure if keeper or not, so a re-read will have to determine that.

I really liked this book! It traces body image in women and young females in the United States (with a focus on the middle-class white woman) from the late 1800s to the late 1900s, including themes such as menstruation, skin, virginity, and advocacy. I really enjoyed learning about the history of American women in the context of body image. However, since this book was published in 1997, that is when the time frame stopped. I would like to see an updated version of this book to include through

2 1/2 stars. Not entirely a waste of time, but way more disappointing than I thought. I really wanted to love this book, but just couldn't get there. The concept was a good one: Providing historical information from adolescent girls' diaries/journals to discuss the history of our changing body consciousness. However, the diaries often seemed forgotten, and that was disappointing. In addition, I felt that Brumberg added a bit too much of her own opinion/judgments throughout the text, which took

Actual Rating: 2.5 StarsIn this book, Brumberg examines the one hundred years of history between 1895 and 1995, and how societys attitude has changed toward young women. She asks the question, even though we are now free of corsets and have more rights, do we really have it any better than our Victorian ancestors? To answer this, she cites passages from diaries of teenage girls dating back to the 1800s, research, and anecdotes from her own experiences as a teen and a professor. One of her first

My God but this was fascinating. And this is nonfiction, so when I say I connected with the main character, I mean I connected with femininity when reading this book. I was always supremely tomboy-esque when I was growing up; only in college did I start to express femininity a little bit more, and so this is all stuff that's like, pretty new to me, but this was so interesting. Well-written, too, I thought, and I really liked the anecdotal parts, where she'd look at a girl who had the problem

I really liked this book, although I thought most of the first chapter was pointless, boring, dry, and irrelevant. However, I kept reading because I was told this was an excellent book by a friend whose literary opinion I highly value and trust. It was over all a good book. It evoked an intimacy with me as a reader, because growing up in the United States as a girl causes some universal emotions and experiences that this book clearly hits on. Mostly it gave some historical perspective on

Very organized and understandable; easy to read in a day, although I did not do that myself. She writes eloquently about the medicalization of menstruation and the sanitation of adolescence, juxtaposed against the increasing sexualization of younger girls in the modern age. The historical basis for how we got where we are today is the most fascinating part of this book. However, no real or implementable solutions are offered at the end. This is more of a chronicle of our past as a nation and

Comments

Popular posts from this blog