Books Online Free Tolkien and C.S. Lewis: The Gift of a Friendship Download
Particularize Books To Tolkien and C.S. Lewis: The Gift of a Friendship
| Original Title: | Tolkien and C.S. Lewis: The Gift of Friendship |
| ISBN: | 1587680262 (ISBN13: 9781587680267) |
| Edition Language: | English |
Colin Duriez
Paperback | Pages: 256 pages Rating: 4.01 | 1443 Users | 68 Reviews

List Out Of Books Tolkien and C.S. Lewis: The Gift of a Friendship
| Title | : | Tolkien and C.S. Lewis: The Gift of a Friendship |
| Author | : | Colin Duriez |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | First Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 256 pages |
| Published | : | November 3rd 2003 by HiddenSpring (first published 2003) |
| Categories | : | Biography. Nonfiction. History. Language. Writing. Biography Memoir. Religion. Christianity. Christian |
Interpretation In Favor Of Books Tolkien and C.S. Lewis: The Gift of a Friendship
Both Tolkien and C.S. Lewis are literary superstars, known around the world as the creators of Middle-earth and Narnia. But few of their readers and fans know about the important and complex friendship between Tolkien and his fellow Oxford academic C.S. Lewis. Without the persistent encouragement of his friend, Tolkien would never have completed The Lord of the Rings. This great tale, along with the connected matter of The Silmarillion, would have remained merely a private hobby. Likewise, all of Lewis' fiction, after the two met at Oxford University in 1926, bears the mark of Tolkien's influence, whether in names he used or in the creation of convincing fantasy worlds. They quickly discovered their affinity--a love of language and the imagination, a wide reading in northern myth and fairy tale, a desire to write stories themselves in both poetry and prose. The quality of their literary friendship invites comparisons with those of William Wordsworth and Samuel Taylor Coleridge, William Cowper and John Newton, and G.K. Chesterton and Hillaire Belloc. Both Tolkien and Lewis were central figures in the informal Oxford literary circle, the Inklings. This book explores their lives, unfolding the extraordinary story of their complex friendship that lasted, with its ups and downs, until Lewis's death in 1963. Despite their differences--differences of temperament, spiritual emphasis, and view of their storytelling art--what united them was much stronger, a shared vision that continues to inspire their millions of readers throughout the world.Rating Out Of Books Tolkien and C.S. Lewis: The Gift of a Friendship
Ratings: 4.01 From 1443 Users | 68 ReviewsRate Out Of Books Tolkien and C.S. Lewis: The Gift of a Friendship
I've read multiple biographies on Tolkien and a much longer one on the Inklings, but this is one of my favorites. Duriez does an excellent job of focusing on the relationship of Tolkien and Lewis and not getting pulled into the other biographical matters. I've always wondered about the relationship between these two men and found my curiosity satisfied in this book. As biographies go, it's quite short, and I highly recommend it to anyone who has an interest in Tolkien or Lewis.I must say this has been one of my favorite recent reads. And I picked it up for a dollar in the book sale room of my local library! Other reviewers can cite the organizational concept of the book. I'm just going to tell you what I loved about it. I loved that it gave me a living, breathing view into the relationship that existed between these two literary giants.I loved that it didn't sugarcoat either their personalities or their stories.I loved that it explained to me in a way I could
Two half-books for the price of one full bookColin Duriez has managed to write two mediocre biographies of two inherently interesting men, but what this book brings is many of the points of connection between the two. Friendship is the word Duriez uses and in many respects their relationship (at least initially) had all the passion of friendship. But passions cool with age and while C.S. Lewis maintained his energy and combativeness J.R.R. Tolkien deepend as a thinker and fell into academia and

A very good read about the friendship between Tolkien and Lewis written by my friend and scholar Colin Duriez. I highly recommend it.
An excellent biography of Lewis and Tolkien and their extraordinary friendship. A must read for fans of both authors!
Fabulous! I wasn't sure how I would like this book. It is a bit hard to read if you're used to fantasy books (like me!) because it had a tendency to get "leggy" at some points along the way. Trust me. It's worth those extra steps! I've read one biography on Tolkien before and in December of 2017, we read one that was a biography of Lewis' early life. Neither prepared me for reading this. I learned a lot I didn't already know about those two epic authors and if you like either one of them, please
For me, this book's subtitle is misleading. The majority of the book has nothing to do with the friendship of Tolkien and Lewis. In fact, the information in the books indicates they were co-workers and writing at the same time/sounding boards at times for each other but not "friends" in that they weren't really involved in each other's lives outside of the college and writing.So much of the book had nothing to do with the interactions between Lewis and Tolkien. There was back story on a bunch of

Comments
Post a Comment