Free Books The Looking Glass War (George Smiley #4) Online Download

Free Books The Looking Glass War (George Smiley #4) Online Download
The Looking Glass War (George Smiley #4) Paperback | Pages: 273 pages
Rating: 3.73 | 10092 Users | 565 Reviews

Itemize Books In Pursuance Of The Looking Glass War (George Smiley #4)

Original Title: The Looking Glass War
ISBN: 0141196394 (ISBN13: 9780141196398)
Edition Language: English
Series: George Smiley #4
Characters: George Smiley, John Avery, Adrian Haldane, Fred Leiser, Leclerc, Jack Johnson, Control

Description During Books The Looking Glass War (George Smiley #4)

When the Department - faded since the war and busy only with bureaucratic battles - hears rumour of a missile base near the West German border, it seems like the perfect opportunity to regain some political standing in the Intelligence market place. The Cold War is at its height and the Department is dying for a piece of the action.

Swiftly becoming carried away by fear and pride, the Department and her officers send deactivated agent Fred Leiser back into East Germany, armed only with some schoolboy training and his memories of the war.

In the land of eloquent silence that is Communist East Germany, Leiser's fate becomes inseparable from the Department's.

Point Out Of Books The Looking Glass War (George Smiley #4)

Title:The Looking Glass War (George Smiley #4)
Author:John le Carré
Book Format:Paperback
Book Edition:Penguin Modern Classics
Pages:Pages: 273 pages
Published:November 3rd 2011 by Penguin Books (first published 1965)
Categories:Fiction. Spy Thriller. Espionage. Thriller. Mystery. European Literature. British Literature. Mystery Thriller

Rating Out Of Books The Looking Glass War (George Smiley #4)
Ratings: 3.73 From 10092 Users | 565 Reviews

Comment On Out Of Books The Looking Glass War (George Smiley #4)
I am reading le Carre's Smiley books in order. I finished THE LOOKING GLASS WAR yesterday. It is brilliant. My plan, and I reserve the right to change it, is to read all of the books and review them as a group when I have finished.As for LOOKING GLASS, it came as a surprise. It is a comedy. A blistering and dark send up of the incompetence and dysfunction within the British military intelligence community which, in the 1960s, was dominated by aging and obsolete hold-overs from WWII. le Carre had

Have you ever wanted to be a spy? I didnt not until I started reading John Le Carrés George Smiley series this year. I do remember when us four siblings played spy along with other games all over the acres of our farm and buildings, but I was a bit of a failure back then. I wanted to have everyone get along. I wanted to be the good guy who brought all the other fighters (yes, I have an older brother) together in peace and harmony. So in the end, I became a double-spy. Great. My brothers were

There is a valuable lesson in this book: when an author uses a novels introduction to suggest it may be his worst, believe him. Of the four books Ive written by John le Carré, The Looking Glass War is clearly the worst. le Carré seems to have issues carrying his stories when the plot is not singularly focused, when he is trying to make a negative point about some aspect of British culture. We saw this when le Carré tackled the prep school system in A Murder of Quality, and this time the author

The Spy Who Came in from the Cold was praised for its harsh realism, but le Carre believed it was not harsh or realistic enough. On the contrary, he considered it unrealistic and romantic, what with its nearly omniscient intelligence agency, the agency's extraordinarily complex yet flawless plan, and the novel's melodramatic conclusion: the death of star-crossed lovers at the foot of the Berlin Wall.For this next book, le Carre chose to abstain from grand dramatic gestures and instead describe

By his own admission, after the success of The Spy Who Came in From the Cold, le Carre wanted to tell the real truth about the state of British intelligence in the early 1960s. The novel is grim. He shows a nation no longer the world power it was. Intelligence has become a political endeavor inside the offices of the military and intelligence branches. He takes his time getting it going and then ramps it up as a man is sent into East Germany, a man who has been suborned to the current agenda. I

Man, this is one depressing book. As the author states in the intro, this book is a cynical look at the intelligence/spy world and is almost a parody of LeCarre's first big hit, The Spy Who Came in From the Cold.With subtle (and a few not so subtle) hints of the ridiculous attempts by past-their prime and out of touch military intelligence officers to recover their relavancy and stage one last mission, the book is a slowly building tragedy. You know it is not going to end well nearly from the

For me a difficult book to rate, on one hand I enjoyed it although I came to have a marked contempt for some of the major characters. I felt the novel was a study in human nature and trying to hold on to the glory of past exploits. A clandestine world made up of an old boys club who are happy to throw the lamb to the wolves .....all in the name of glory, I found this to be a bleak and quite dour story, not for the faint of heart. Well written as you would expect but I thought that is was more

Comments

Popular posts from this blog