Free Vassa in the Night Download Books Online
List Books In Favor Of Vassa in the Night
| Original Title: | Vassa in the Night |
| ISBN: | 0765380544 (ISBN13: 9780765380548) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Setting: | Brooklyn, New York City, New York(United States) |
Sarah Porter
Hardcover | Pages: 296 pages Rating: 3.44 | 5478 Users | 1382 Reviews
Chronicle In Pursuance Of Books Vassa in the Night
In the enchanted kingdom of Brooklyn, the fashionable people put on cute shoes, go to parties in warehouses, drink on rooftops at sunset, and tell themselves they’ve arrived. A whole lot of Brooklyn is like that now—but not Vassa’s working-class neighborhood.In Vassa’s neighborhood, where she lives with her stepmother and bickering stepsisters, one might stumble onto magic, but stumbling away again could become an issue. Babs Yagg, the owner of the local convenience store, has a policy of beheading shoplifters—and sometimes innocent shoppers as well. So when Vassa’s stepsister sends her out for light bulbs in the middle of night, she knows it could easily become a suicide mission.
But Vassa has a bit of luck hidden in her pocket, a gift from her dead mother. Erg is a tough-talking wooden doll with sticky fingers, a bottomless stomach, and a ferocious cunning. With Erg’s help, Vassa just might be able to break the witch’s curse and free her Brooklyn neighborhood. But Babs won’t be playing fair…

Point Epithetical Books Vassa in the Night
| Title | : | Vassa in the Night |
| Author | : | Sarah Porter |
| Book Format | : | Hardcover |
| Book Edition | : | Special Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 296 pages |
| Published | : | September 20th 2016 by Tor Teen |
| Categories | : | Fantasy. Young Adult. Retellings |
Rating Epithetical Books Vassa in the Night
Ratings: 3.44 From 5478 Users | 1382 ReviewsArticle Epithetical Books Vassa in the Night
This book was so wonderfully weird, I was instantly hooked from page one and I was only drawn more in as it went on. Everything about it was so original, it was totally unlike anything Ive ever read before and I couldnt have loved it more. Vassa was such an excellent character, something about her just clicked with me and I was incredibly invested in what would happen to her and how her story would turn out. I also really loved the role that Night played in the story, it was just pure magic andThis is what a YA book should be -- dark, specific, weird... Vassa lives in a dystopian futuristic Brooklyn with Erg, the doll who lives in her pocket. There is so much wonderful imagery. The perilous journey Vassa must take to Baba Yar's convenience store, the scuttling helpers there. The whole thing is like Tim Burton meets Judy Bloom in a Salvador Dali painting. Or maybe Madeline L'Engle meets Fellini. Whichever: read and love.

Huh.I....uh...I don't really know how to rate this one, so I guess I'll settle for three stars.Vassa in the Night reads like one of those dark, grim (see what I did there) fairy tales where the prince doesn't quite get to the princess in time and so she's eaten alive by a dragon. Only instead of a medieval or fantasy world, it's set in a part of Brooklyn that has managed to escape gentrification. A place where night lasts longer than it should, dolls can talk, and the local super market mounts
If I hadnt read the summary of the original Russian fairytale Vasilisa the Beautiful, I would have thought this book to be totally cray-cray.But it still doesnt make much sense. Its very different from what I now know of the classic story. The main elements are still present father and mother gone, talking doll, bitchy stepmother, orders to fetch light, Baba Yaga and her skulls and dancing house and tedious riders, the chores, etc. but the ending is entirely different and so are the setting
Before reading Vassa in the Night, I came across countless reviews that did not like it - purely for the fact that "it doesn't make sense".Well I'm sorry (not sorry), but I could not disagree more. If you're the kind of person who'll look at a Dali painting and think "but animals don't actually have legs that long", then this probably isn't the book for you, but the gorgeous dream-logic at work through Vassa is both consistent and mesmerising; I never once found myself confused, only captivated
Vassa lives in an enchanted version of modern Brooklyn with her step sisters and step mother and her magical talking doll that her mother had given her when she was a child. One night when Vassa returns home her step sister tells Vassa she needs to head to the local store to pick up some light bulbs. The problem with this is the only store open late at night is the local convenience store that is run by Babs Yagg who has a policy of beheading shoplifters whether they are truly guilty or not.

Comments
Post a Comment