Free Download Books The Fall And Rise of Reginald Perrin (Reginald Perrin #1)
Present Out Of Books The Fall And Rise of Reginald Perrin (Reginald Perrin #1)
| Title | : | The Fall And Rise of Reginald Perrin (Reginald Perrin #1) |
| Author | : | David Nobbs |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | Anniversary Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 326 pages |
| Published | : | January 1st 1976 by Penguin Books Ltd (first published 1975) |
| Categories | : | Fiction. Humor. Psychology. European Literature. British Literature. Novels |
David Nobbs
Paperback | Pages: 326 pages Rating: 3.98 | 751 Users | 74 Reviews
Relation During Books The Fall And Rise of Reginald Perrin (Reginald Perrin #1)
Reginald Perrin is going through something of a mid-life crisis. Sick of the minutiae of his job at Sunshine Desserts, he is driven to desperate measures, and decides to steal a giant lorry shaped like a jelly, fake his own death, and start a new life. This book – the first in a series of three – tells of Reggie’s adventures as he tries to find a meaning to this life.The very first line – “When Reginald Iolanthe Perrin set out for work on the Thursday morning, he had no intention of calling his mother-in-law a hippopotamus” – gave me a clue that this book was going to be funny, and somewhat surreal. What I didn’t expect was that it would actually be tinged with melancholy too. It’s easy to sympathise with Reggie’s frustration at his colleagues and his job, although the measures he took to find something more to live for were admittedly drastic and ridiculous.
Nobbs balances the melancholy out with lots of laughter though. During the first part of the book, I was amused on several occasions, but not enough to make me really laugh. However, then came the scene describing the funniest dinner party I have ever read about, which actually gave me a stomach ache from laughing so hard.
The book takes a bizarre turn towards the end, and and while it was supposed to be satirical, it didn’t strike quite the right note with me, because it was just TOO unbelievable. However, I did enjoy it overall, and certainly intend to read the next two books in the series.

Particularize Books As The Fall And Rise of Reginald Perrin (Reginald Perrin #1)
| Original Title: | The Death of Reginald Perrin |
| ISBN: | 0140042024 (ISBN13: 9780140042023) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Series: | Reginald Perrin #1 |
Rating Out Of Books The Fall And Rise of Reginald Perrin (Reginald Perrin #1)
Ratings: 3.98 From 751 Users | 74 ReviewsCriticize Out Of Books The Fall And Rise of Reginald Perrin (Reginald Perrin #1)
I heard about David Nobbs a few days ago when I read his obituary in The Guardian .The obituary mentioned the 4 book he wrote about Reginald Perrin and how each book got a BBC television treatment and how witty and satirical they are. I found the original 3 books and purchased them. I just finished reading the 1st one and I found it very pleasant and funny in a sort of dry British humor. Reginald Perrin. Mid life crisis. married to Elizabeth. Father of Linda and Mark. Executive sales manager atI love Reggie - thanks Mr Nobbs. Incredible, unequalled.
Reggie Perrin suffers a midlife crisis. The humor is wonderfulfarcical and odd like a 1970s British sitcom. The plot lost me in the middle as Reggie plots to run away from his life, but the is genuinely moving and quite hilarious.

cover:Reginald Iolanthe Perrin is sick to death with selling exotic ices at Sunshine Desserts. He's fed up with his boss C. J. who delights in making his life hell. And he's had enough of his eager young assistants who think everything is 'super'.So begins Reggie's battle against consumerism. Driven to desperation by the rate race and the unpunctuality of Britain's trains, Reggie's small eccentricities escalate to the extreme.Until, finally, he leaves behind the unacceptable face of capitalism
If all you remember of Reginald Perrin is from his portrayal by Leonard Rossiter on TV in the seventies, then you need to read this book, because the way Reggie is described, is rather different. But then again, it probably wouldn't help. Lennie made Reggie his own creation and, try as I might, the two are one and the same in my mind.It seems that they made a US version in the eighties and another UK version in this century, so I might seek them out to see if anything changed.Any way 'round,
I didn't get where I am today by not saying that this book is hilariously funny, but also very poignant in ways which perhaps don't quite come across in the (excellent) TV series. The incestuous affair enjoyed by Reggie's daughter was quite a surprise.
Having loved the BBC television series repeats back when I was a teenager I was amused to receive the box set of DVDs for my 40th Birthday (although Ive not quite had my midlife crises yet). I really enjoyed it so much that it made me think about the books. Finally finding the time to read, even though its a story I was very much looking forward to, I was pleasantly surprised at how close the TV series was/is to the book. Of course you cant fail to picture Leonard Rossiter and the other actors

Comments
Post a Comment